Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Preggo Porker Part 2

 

After Friday night’s hunt resulting in a 175 pound pregnant sow (See Preggo Porker Part 1 - http://camocandace.blogspot.com/2014/09/preggo-porker-part-1.html ) and Saturday night being a little quiet, I was excited to take advantage of the three day weekend and head back out for a Sunday night hunt!

I showed up a little earlier than usual and was set up and ready before the sun went down. The trail camera pictures had been showing all the pigs coming in after dark and usually after the second feeding at 10pm; but this hunt I was in my chair, under a tree, 23 yards from the feeder by 8:15pm and it's a good thing I was there early!

This feeder has a homemade red light set up we have been trying out and it has been working great; it's a motion sensor light that comes on after dark with movement. It has been pretty helpful at getting the pigs comfortable with the red lights which are the Nite Hunter bow lights we use.
 
  

As I nestled in, kicked on the Thermacell, the the sun faded and about 8:45pm I saw a big mass moving in from my left headed straight for the feeder. It looked like another pregnant sow but it was hard to tell in the dark until she made it under the feeder and turned on the motion light. There she was, under the feeder, eating corn, facing me. I didn't have a shot!

So as I sat patiently waiting, she continued to eat, and eat, and eat! This sow was already a little spooked coming in so I was keeping quiet and just watching. Nearly 20 minutes of eating either facing me or hard quartering to me she finally shifted a little bit. My pin lights were on but I also clicked on my red bow light for added brightness. Because the pigs have become accustomed to the red feeder light, another red light doesn't affect them but makes it brighter for a more clear shot for me. I had lit up the glow in the dark paint on my peep sight with my phone and I drew back, but as soon as I drew she turned back facing me. Hold or let down? Knowing this solo sow wasn't moving around quickly (usually in larger groups the pigs will push and move each other around trying to eat and are constantly moving) I decided to let down and not risk exhausting myself waiting for a shot and it's a good thing I did. 

Another 10-15 minutes passed and she would not present a shot. Not only was she quartering to me but her shoulder was partially blocked by the feeder leg. So I waited. I just knew she was going to eat up all the corn and leave before I could get a shot. I stood up to see if I could swing around and get a better angle but as I moved right, staying in my good wind pattern, I moved out from the shadows of the tree and into the moonlight. I quickly retreated! Pigs do not have the best vision but any type of shadows will spook them; standing with the moon behind me trying to draw was not a good idea especially with her facing me and already being spooked. As I sat back in my spot I was running out of hope. It was 9:30 by now and I didn't know how much longer she would stay. 
 


Finally she started moving completely under the feeder and presenting a better angle for me. I drew and realized I had left my bow light on this whole time to keep from clicking on and off making unnecessary noise and now my battery was dead. (They are rechargeable batteries but it had been quite a few hunts since I had charged it-bad move!) It wasn't going to be as bright as I preferred but I still had the feeder light. 

She finally turned but was still slightly quartering to me but I figured this was going to be the best shot and she was moving around more which probably meant she was running out of corn. I shot (again without lighted nocks) and knew it passed through her. It was a little further back than I wanted but I saw her limping so I grabbed my handheld red light and followed her. She was a lighter colored sow so I was able to see where I shot her and the blood coming out but was worried it was too far back and might need another arrow. I had already knocked one as I followed her but my bow light was dead and she wasn't under the feeder light anymore. I contemplated trying to hold the red flashlight in my mouth while trying to launch another arrow but quickly discounted that idea for my safety and to keep from making a poor shot on the sow. I set my bow down and pulled my pistol to be ready for a possible charge. You truly never know with pigs, especially a wounded pregnant porker! She made her way under a tree and buried herself under the brush and died.

I kept the light on her and watched for about 10 minutes to make sure she wouldn't get up and leave before going to get the truck. I was solo on this hunt and knew the work ahead of me. I packed up and walked back to bring the truck with the hitch hoist because this was a big girl. I backed the truck down and then my heart sank. I finally noticed the brush she had buried herself in was covered in thorns! Just my luck! I broke off a long branch to poke her with just to make sure (while holding the pistol in my hand) before I went under the tree and into the brush in a vulnerable position.

I started backing in since my legs were covered and as the brush and thorns hit my neck and got tangled in my hair I finally got to her but only her butt was accessible and both feet were tucked under herself. So I grabbed her tail and started pulling. She moved but because she was big girl I heard her tail start ripping! Dang it! So I dropped to my knees and was able to reach back and grab a foot and started pulling. It was a struggle pulling her out without any leverage of my legs until I got where I could stand up. Luckily I didn't have to go far (otherwise I would have used my game hauler strap) because I was able to back the truck up really close. 
 


There she was! Confirmed another pregnant sow with a big full belly! Now the fun part began and I took a selfie with her! I removed the hitch and put the hitch hoist together while dripping with sweat. I forgot to mention it was 90 degrees and 87% humidity at 10:00pm so breathing was difficult and I was drenched before the hard work even began! Using head lamps and flashlights was my light source which meant thousands of gnats were swarming everywhere. I ate a few, ingested some via my nostrils, killed some on the corners of my eye and at one point went to wipe the sweat off my neck and scraped off a few hundred gnats that had drowned in my sweat! This was crazy but I was already knee deep in the process and knew when I came out here what I got myself into!


I got my knife out and cut her legs to put the Ultimate Hanger leg spreader in, attached the scale and began to crank the hoist. The first few turns were easy but as she lifted off the ground I slowed down. For the next ten minutes I looked like a crazy person pushing, pulling, putting my leg on the hoist for leverage and doing anything to wench her up. Of course I parked on a small slope so gravity was pulling her away from me (once again my luck and my fault for not paying attention but in my defense I could barely see through the sweat!)


After what seemed like forever I saw her nose pull away from the ground and start swinging (just barely but it was enough!) I checked the weight and it was about 170 pounds. Now it was time for pictures, sweaty pictures, but I had to get a few other than the selfie I took earlier. I set up the tripod and the self timer on the camera and tried my best to look decent while I looked like I had just finished swimming and my pants were starting to sag from all the sweat! Yes the glamorous side of hunting! At least my 'gnat-neck' wasn't visible! 

Swivel her in the back of the truck, disassemble the hitch hoist, the camera and put everything up and after about an hour and a half head out to deliver to one of the ranch hands! What a night! Luckily I had an extra shirt to put on because I could wring mine out with sweat! I was exhausted but felt accomplished! Another preggo porker down, another group of piglets averted from populating the area and meat for a family! Now that's a Sunday night!
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Candace. Normally I dont take the time to read blogs and such or have the time for that matter. This is one of the few times I did and enjoyed it very much. If blogs are as interesting as yours and others such as @tlbay the I may have to start taking the time to read more more often. Again Thank You. @trapper831

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that means a lot to me! It is hard to read much anymore, especially with the instant gratification we all have been predispositioned to with social media. The written word is becoming a lost art in today's modern world so reading this (especially one of my longer ones) means more than you know.

      I hope you find others of mine to read as they vary in tone and seriousness. One of my favorite pieces is called Get Lost To Be Found and although a more poetic piece seems to resonate with others quite well.

      Again thank you for not only reading it but taking the extra time to comment as well!

      Delete