Monday, September 1, 2014

Preggo Porker Part 1

 
 
It was Friday night and I was headed out to hunt pigs which was mostly normal for me. I try to go every chance I get and I am beyond blessed to hunt a beautiful place only 25 minutes from my house. For those that follow me on twitter, you know the pigs out there have been elusive lately and it had been a while since I was able to have it all come together. But there is more meaning behind this pig than most know. 
When we learned we would be going on an elk hunt for the first time I knew I needed to make some changes to my bow; really focus on getting it fine-tuned perfectly, get sighted in out to 40-50 yards and feel comfortable shooting at that distance. With a lower draw weight of 44lbs I usually won't shoot a whitetail deer past 30-35 yards and risk them jumping my string and wounding the deer. But with a larger animal like an elk I was willing to move out. 
Anyway...I changed to a heavier arrow, bumped up to 125 grain broad heads (Slick Trick Viper Tricks) & started fine tuning. Again as you may know nothing ever comes easy for me and the journey to where I am now has been a difficult one. Fine tuning was a struggle as well not to mention Colorado does not allow any battery operated devices on a bow including lighted nocks. 
As simple as that sounds switching from my Nockturnals to plain plastic nocks coupled with the other changes was not that simple...for me anyhow. Different weight of nock, changing the D-loop a little and really getting down to true arrow flight details made for some frustrating days. I would get it right (or so I thought) and then be wrong again. 
I also was having to remove my bow light (Nite Hunter Illumination) to practice for elk and then put it on to go hunt pigs and compensate. I could never just pick up my bow and head out because I was practicing for elk but having to adjust for pigs. It doesn't seem like much but when you're struggling to get everything as perfect as possible, those little changes detract from your progress and more than anything affect your mental frame of mind too. So after a few months of heartache (because I take it to heart when I'm struggling) a lot of frustration and changes, I was finally able to make it come together and get my head right too. 
About 10:15 a pregnant sow showed up to the feeder (I had seen her on trial camera for a while and she was there the night before too) but as I sat 23 yards away in a chair under a tree she actually detoured right by me about 10 yards before heading to the feeder. I almost pulled my pistol because she got a little too close but I stopped. I wanted her with my bow. She moved in and then a big boar and two smaller pigs came in as well. As she ate corn and I waited for them to get comfortable, she began head butting the boar and ran him away from the feeder, stomped one of the smaller pigs which made it squeal (and made me smile). This fat girl didn't want anybody getting her corn. (Funny to see a pregnant sow fighting for her food! Must have been hormones haha)
 
So as time passed I sat insanely still because there wasn't an ounce of wind blowing. I watched as she kept running the pigs off to protect her corn. Finally after about 20 minutes she moved outside the feeder legs to present a shot. Here is where the hard work came into play and why I am so proud of the great shot I made (not bragging just excited!)
With my bow light on I was shooting 2 inches to the left at 20 yards (yes I had to practice that too) so I had to compensate for that and I was shooting regular plastic nocks so seeing my arrow hit her was going to be a challenge. All of this going through my mind in addition to proper shot placement, staying quiet, drawing back, watching the other pigs, and hoping this sow would stand still long enough to make it come together. 
I drew, moved 2 inches to the right and released. I kept my light on her to see my arrow hit her as best I could and she ran. The shot felt good to me and I was pretty excited but with pigs sometimes you just never know. I waited a few minutes, sent a text to my buddy that I had shot and then went off to look for blood. 
 
There wasn't any at the impact site nor did I find my arrow there. I walked about 40 yards where I saw her run and saw a branch laying over with blood smeared all on it! Yes!! I followed a great blood trail (bleeding from both sides) for about 30 yards, found a piece of my arrow she broke off, covered in blood. She had gone under a fence so I went to get my buddy to finish the tracking job and help with the recover. I was pretty sure it was a good shot but tracking a pig in the brush is never 100% safe, especially alone. 
We crossed the fence and followed the blood trail another 30-40 yards and as my buddy pointed out in front and said 'There She Is!'  I ran over and started jumping up and down! There with a perfect shot on the shoulder (which meant I compensated accurately) was my big sow! It was the greatest confirmation that all the hard work and frustration was worth it and all the changes I made were right! It was a great moment that I was glad to share with a great friend and was very thankful he was there to help get her pregnant 175 pound butt out of the brush and into the truck! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment