Thursday, September 17, 2015

First Lite Women's Gear - Full Review

 

In all of my years of hunting I have never owned top notch base layers; in Texas it rarely gets extremely cold & true hiking is minimal, so it was never much of a priority until last year. My first trip to Colorado hunting elk proved how important good base layers are and this year I was able to put the new women's base layers from First Lite to the test. The results are in and they are overwhelmingly great!

Sizing/Fit: Phenomenal! Every piece actually fit the way I wanted it to. Tapered and fitted in the body of the tops, long sleeves with thumb holes, and the length of the tops were extra long (my favorite part). I hate it when my shirt comes up while hiking, climbing, sitting, and moving around and both pieces (Artemis Hoodie & Lupine Crew) were long enough that it never happened. That extra length made the pieces perfect for me because I have a long torso. I hate being warm and then the base layer creeps up exposing skin and a chill that ruins your body temperature or when hiking and my backpack pulls it up. The Larkspur bottoms feature a wide waistband to help fit all body types and keep them in place while moving. They also lay flat and do not bunch up.   
*Overall Grade Sizing/Fit = A+

First Lite Lupine Crew in Size Medium, RealTree Max 1 pattern. This is the next to skin base layer. I will be ordering another in a size small because the medium was a bit loose. The length of the body and the sleeves were perfect.
http://www.firstlite.com/womens-lupine-crew-1032.html


First Lite Artemis Hoodie in Size Medium, First Lite Fusion Camo Pattern. Perfect for the second layer after the Lupine Crew. The long length of the body and sleeves were my favorite part. Half zip in the front and lightweight hoodie in the back.
 http://www.firstlite.com/womens-artemis-hoody.html


Larkspur Full Length Bottom in Size Small, RealTree Xtra pattern. The wide waistband was great for adapting to varying body shapes and stayed in place at all times.
http://www.firstlite.com/womens-larkspur-full-length-bottom.html
Function: I wore all 3 pieces (I didn't have the Syringa shorts yet) for 9 days straight in varying weather from high 30's in the mornings to high 60's in the afternoons. The pieces were only washed once because of blood from my cow elk on day 3. The solid 6 days afterwards proved their true capabilities. They were very warm in the mornings and kept me cool in the afternoons. I honestly haven't experienced anything like this before and was so excited. Even on the hikes and climbs when I did sweat, they NEVER had any smell! (Trust me I smelled my armpits of both pieces everyday and could never detect any scent! It was crazy).
*Overall Grade Odor Control & Thermal Regulation = A+


 Camo Patterns/Material:
I loved the Fusion camo (seen in the pics in the Artemis Hoodie) but they offer 3 solid colors (black, sage & golden) and 4 camo patterns (First Lite Fusion, ASAT, RealTree Max 1, & Realtree Xtra). Every piece is 100% Merino Wool, double stitched and without extra pink accents that many woman are frustrated with.
*Overall Grade Camo Patterns/Material = A+



Accessories: I also wore the Talus fingerless merino wool gloves and the 5-panel tech hat. The hat was very lightweight; made of nylon with a mesh lining which kept my head cool while hiking but the fabric also made for a few fit issues for my small head. The brim of the hat does not stay formed very well and would flatten out often. The Talus fingerless gloves were just right for the cool temperatures. I would upgrade to thicker gloves for temps below 35.
*Overall Grade 5-Panel Tech Hat = B+
*Overall Grade Talus Gloves = A+ (above 35 deg)

 

Check out the First Lite women's gear here: http://www.firstlite.com/products/womens.html
 

 
Bottom Line - this stuff works, fits, and played a critical role in my successful elk hunt. Scent control, function and fit were never a concern of mine because the First Lite gear did what it should...finally, gear that works for women! THANK YOU! I can't wait until their full line of women's gear comes out! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment